The look ranges from minimalist calm to edgier takes with a nod toward street art and a foot in the rock camp. Themes are often inspired by the arts and street culture, while clever details and whimsical accessories punch up the kid factor.
Boys will appreciate the simplicity of this look -- the Modern wardrobe mixes and matches effortlessly.
Colors are often muted with a pop from a bright or metallic accent. Graphics may feature typical kid-focused images like animals and balloons, but the designs are artistic, never fussy or overly sweet. Innovative, often asymmetrical lines and contrasting textures distinguish modern tops.
These edgy corduroy pants from Aven are thoroughly modern. Details include multiple pockets, asymmetrical zippers, and waistband buttons for suspenders.
The angled front zip and other details on this windbreaker give it a biker jacket vibe.
Alternative laces, sleek backpacks, and simple jewelry all fit the modern criteria, and these less conventional accents will really set off the look:
- JumpFromPaper 3D bag: JumpFromPaper's Play Hooky messenger bag is for the modern boy who appreciates a big dose of whimsy. He'll have fun fooling everyone with this bag that only looks like a drawing.
- Oeuf Mask and Tail Set: Knit animal tails and masks are fun dress-up details that kids can wear all day for a touch of fun. The fox and skunk styles are particularly modern.
6. Retailers and LinesLarge retailers like American Apparel, Gap Kids, H&M, J. Crew, and Zara offer modern pieces among other styles.
To get a good feel for the details of the Modern Look, take a look at these designer lines:
- Appaman - Scandinavian calm meets American hip
- Atsuyo et Akiko - artistic basics
- Aven - understated rocker
- Bobo Choses - colorful prints
- Caramel Baby & Child - elegant
- Finger in the Nose comfortable rock
- Kids Case - urban meets coastal cool
- La Miniatura - professorial punk
- Loud Apparel - minimalist
- Little Paul and Joe - refined whimsy
- Mini and Maximus - colorful prints
- Mini Rodini - playful Scandinavian cool
- Munster - hip street art
- New Generals - futuristic edge
- No Added Sugar - British cool
- Oeuf - simple with whimsy
- Stella McCartney Kids - elegant to casual, always stylish
- Talc - comfortable elegance